5 home remedies for phlegm
When we refer to phlegm, it is commonly sticky, thick mucus that stays at the back of your throat when you are ill. It is a common occurrence when you have a cold. It captures many particles making it difficult for you to swallow food or drink any fluids. Mucus tends to secure your respiratory framework. These film your mouth, nose, throat, sinuses and lungs. All allergens and infections are captured by this sticky mucus which could result in you falling sick.
If you are healthy, then the mucus is thin and undetectable. The moment you fall sick or are exposed to excessive particles, the mucus becomes thick. It becomes more detectable as it traps these outside substances. Mucus is a solid piece of your respiratory framework. However, in the event that it turns to phlegm due to an infection, you need to break it or expel it from your body.
Best home remedies to remove phlegm
- Drinking tea with honey: Prepare some warm lemon water by blending 2 teaspoons of lemon juice with some warm water. This remedy is commonly used to get rid of phlegm. The acidity present in the lemon juice separates the bodily fluid. Adding a tablespoon of honey to the blend will soothe your throat.
- Gargle using salt water: This is another common yet effective method to remove phlegm from your throat. The use of too much salt can also make your throat dry leading to cough. When you get up in the morning, add 2-3 teaspoons of salt to 200ML glass of water. Stir it well and gargle. You should repeat this process 3-4 times a day to get quick relief.
- Steam inhalation: This is a method to instantly get rid of the phlegm in your throat. Take a vessel and fill it up with water and allow it to boil. Place a towel over your head and sit in a comfortable position and breathe the steam coming from the water.
- Drink apple cider vinegar: Vinegar isn’t the best tasting liquid out there. However, you will be surprised by the effectiveness of apple cider vinegar against phlegm build-up. Drink a teaspoon of it everyday until the phlegm stops persisting.
- Eat toast: As surprising as this remedy may sound, there is no denying its effectiveness in fighting phlegm build-up. The toast breaks up the phlegm as it moves down your throat.
The above mentioned steps will help you to get rid of phlegm and also prevent the spread of infection. Other home remedies include eating spicy food and using ginger and turmeric powder. Also, consume large amounts of fluids like flavored teas and soups. These methods will definitely help you to recover soon and bring you back to your normal routine.