Home Remedies to Get Relief from Abscess Tooth
A tooth abscess is usually caused by the collection of pus, a defense mechanism of the body in order to stop the infection from spreading into the bloodstream. This pus is usually made up of white blood cells, bacteria and, dead tissues.
Consulting a dentist is the best idea to treat excessive pain caused by tooth abscess and to treat the infection. However, a few home remedies can provide some relief from the discomfiting pain.
- Rinse with salt water – To get temporary relief from the unbearable pain caused by the tooth abscess, rinsing the mouth with salt water is actually an effective, affordable and easy option. Also, it helps in keeping the gums healthy and heals wound in gums.
- Baking soda – Kitchen cabinets sport this easily affordable option. Mix together baking soda and water. Now, swish this mixture in the mouth and spit it out. Repeat this process. Baking soda helps to remove the plaque in the mouth. This abscess tooth home remedy also has antibacterial properties.
- Cold compress – Take a dry towel and put ice cubes in it. Hold this compress against the skin near the affected abscessed tooth area. Using this compress in a fifteen-minute interval can help in reducing swelling and pain.
- Oregano 0il –An antioxidant and anti-bacterial, this oil is a good remedy to an abscessed tooth. It is easily available in any health food store. Put a few drops of oregano oil to a swab or cotton ball; hold it on the affected area. After a few minutes, rinse well.
- Fenugreek tea – This tea has antibacterial properties. It is not only used as an abscess tooth home remedy, but it is also used for reducing inflammation along with healing wounds.
- Clove oil – Since ancient times, this oil is being used as a natural remedy for a toothache since it has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
- Thyme oil – This natural oil helps in fighting bacteria, reducing swelling and killing parasites. It can be either applied directly on the infected area with a swab or can be used as a mouthwash after adding a few drops of it to water.
- Garlic – Other than being an abscess tooth home remedy, garlic is used as a natural bacteria killer and pain manager.
Treating an abscessed tooth under the guidance of a dentist is crucial. Any negligence may worsen the infection creating further issues. Hence, consult a dentist as soon as possible.