How to prevent pancreatic cancer
Pancreatic cancer is the most deadly disease among other types of cancers. It is difficult to detect it at an early stage and it is often diagnosed at an advanced level. It spreads quickly and has the highest fatality rate. There is no definite way to prevent pancreatic cancer. But there are a few recommendations that might reduce your risk.
- Quit smoking: One of the most widely known risk factors that cause at least 20-30% pancreatic cancer is smoking. If you can’t quit smoking, you should consult with your doctor for effective measures including treatment and nicotine substitution therapy. You can also take the help of nicotine cessation support groups to quit smoking.
- Stop consumption of alcohol: Like smoking, alcohol is also a very common risk factor, which leads to a threat of pancreatic cancer. Consumption of too much alcohol causes adverse effects on your body. If you are committed to preventing pancreatic cancer, you should reduce the quantity of alcohol consumption initially and slowly stop drinking.
- Avoid exposure to some chemicals in the workplace: Exposure to pesticides and heavy metals can trigger pancreatic cancer. So proper and adequate protection for exposed skin has to be taken while working with pesticides and certain heavy metals. It will minimize your risk of pancreatic cancer.
- Keep your weight at a healthy level: Acquiring and maintaining a healthy weight will lower the probability to be attacked by pancreatic cancer. Regular exercise and a healthy diet can help you maintain a proper body weight. A study reveals that people with high body mass index (BMI) possess more risk of pancreatic cancer. You can calculate your BMI by dividing your body weight in kilograms by the square of your height in meters. People with BMI above 23 are considered at risk.
- Choose a healthy diet: A healthy diet helps you to reduce the risk of pancreatic cancer. There should be at least 1 and ½ cup fresh vegetables and fruits in your diet every day. Whole grains, dried fruits, nuts, coconuts, dairy products, egg yolks, garlic, etc. are also effective in reducing the risk of pancreatic cancer.
Prevention is better than cure and prevention needs general awareness. So be aware and follow these preventive measures.